Johan Janssens is a Belgian web architect, tech entrepreneur and free software advocate. In the past 10 years Johan has spent most his time creating and advocating free and open source software and helping evolve the world wide web.
Johan is most known as co-founder and lead developer of Joomla, an open source content management system used by more than 3% of all the sites on the internet.
Johan is passionate about creating software architectures that help other developers get things done faster. Today, Johan spends most of his time helping governments and large organisations implementing open data internet solutions using open source technologies.
Johan is Director of Timble, a privately held software company where he and his team ‘build things for the web’, and he is advisor and investor in Beyounic, a venture backed Swiss start-up.
Johan is a firm believer in sharing and collaboration, in spreading good ideas and in the power of technology to make the world a better place. He continually pushes the people around him to be creative and connect the dots.Twitter, LinkedIn, GitHub, Blog, About,
Co-founder & Managing Director
March 2010 - present
Timble provides enterprise level development services centred around web applications, focussing on high performance, multi-site, multi-lingual installations. Timble also specialises in technology consultancy, advising startups and large cooperations.
- Project Manager of the Open Government Platform of the Belgian Police.
- Multi-site Joomla distribution for Unilever
- Multi-site and multilingual implementation of Joomla for the Italian Institute of Technology
January 2009 - present
Beyounic is venture backed Swiss start-up. Beyounic’s mission is to make event organizers’ lives easier, simpler, and more enjoyable. Beyounic main funder is Agire Invest.
- Involved as advisor from the brainstorming phase, through the functional analysis and finally bringing the products to market.
Co-founder & Lead Developer
November 2007 - present
Joomlatools is lead by Joomla co-founder Johan Janssens. Combined with the rest of the team, we arguably have the most experienced team of Joomla experts anywhere.
- From idea to profitable business that employs 10 developers.
Open Source Matters, Inc
July 2006 - February 2008
Open Source Matters, Inc. is a non-profit organization formed under United States law to provide organizational, legal and financial support for the Joomla project.Website: opensourcematters.org
Co-founder, Project Manager & Lead Developer
September 2005 - October 2008
Joomla is an award winning Open Source content management system that is used by more then 3% of all the websites on the internet.
- Role of Lead Developer and Project Manager during the development of Joomla 1.5
- Recognised by the community for his contributions as 'Most Valued Person' for Joomla in October 2008.
- Still considered to be the largest contributor to Joomla.
GroepT Engineering School, Belgium
2002 - 2004
- Major: Interactive 3D
- Minor: Web development & CMS Systems
Katholieke Hogeschool Kempen, Belgium
2000 - 2002
- Information and communication technology
Full professional proficiency
Limited working proficiency
Most Valued Person for Joomla
by Joomla community in 2008
Recognized for his contributions to the Joomla project.
- PHP, Java & Ruby
- Linux, Apache & Nginx & SQL/MySQL
- XML, XLST, XML-RPC, SOAP & REST
- Open Data & Linked Data
- Security & Perfomance
- Micro services & Distributed systems
- Functional and technical analysis
- Business consultancy
- Technical training and mentoring
- Team coaching
- Agile Software Development
Johan is a brilliant mix of creative, intuitive and pragmatic, allowing him to see the bigger picture but can still drill in to make things happen. He is critical when need be and takes initiative to drive the change he wishes to see. Ces Rondario, ImpactHub Manila
Johan is a true innovative genius. He is one of the lucky few who can say they have made their mark in the world, but he is not yet done. I can't wait to see his next endeavour to help change everybody lives for the better. Artie Lopez, Startup Advisor
Johan Janssens is really good value in case of excellent work, trustworthy, consistent and very reliable. Johan leads the development of the Belgian Police Web Platform. In case of web architecture and open source, he is the right man at the right place, who can help you from bottom to top. Marc Alen, Belgian Police